18 October 2009

Mong Kok

This was taken earlier tonight looking west over Mong Kok, Hong Kong. Mong Kok is the most densely populated area in the world, and for now, the place I call home. Its estimated that there is an average of 130,000 people per sq. km. Home to many famous markets specializing in anything from flowers to high-tech computers and cell phones, Mong Kok is an absolutely incredible place where there is never a dull moment. Whoever gave New York City the title of 'the city that never sleeps' obviously didn't know about Mong Kok!



I have been in the country for a few days now and am ready to get everything started with my new life. The hardest part is getting out of the apartment. Not because of culture shock (thats what I got in the United States, not here) but rather a matter of forcing my legs to operate as they should. A couple of nights ago my cousin and I both had our idiot hats on and participated in a 40km nighttime hiking race on Lantau Island. The first 35km were not bad at all, but the last 5km included a rather brutal climb up Lantau Peak, starting near sea level and rising up to the peak (934m) within a distance of around 1.3km before an even more painful descent down the opposite side.

No comments: